About Mel Anderson
Welcome to my website and creative hub of percolating ideas!
I am a visual artist primarily working in graphic design, ceramics, photography and cyanotypes. I use technical processes as a framework to engage with and explore the environment, local communities and individual experiences of people and place. My arts practice is deeply personal and introspective, rooted in place and community.
I work with local materials and storytelling to weave form to my unconscious narratives and balance out the challenges of life. Creativity is such a valuable tool for self-reflection, introspection and (self-) discovery of the unconscious world.
My current body of work is an extension of photography into personal artworks using cyanotypes and ceramics. I am also working on taking my Tiny Folk on the road to facilitate and co-create a broader community storytelling project.
EXHBITIONS and AWARDS
• 2021 Unframed, Online Auction, Solo Show.
Cyanotypes of the Lower Hawkesbury River, 2 - 5 April 2021.
• 2021 Songs of the River, Solo Show, The Cottage at Brooklyn, NSW. Cyanotypes of the Lower Hawkesbury River, 20 March - 18 April 2021.
• 2020 Tiny Folk Sculpture Hunt, Solo Show, Dangar Island Depot, NSW.
Wild Clay Ceramics, Installation and storytelling. 10 October-21 November, 2020.
• 2020 Tributaries, Solo Show, Dangar Island Depot, NSW.
Cyanotypes of the Lower Hawkesbury River, 10 October - 21 November, 2020.
• 2020 Conversations with the River, Solo Show, The Cottage at Brooklyn,NSW. Cyanotypes of the Lower Hawkesbury River, March 2020.
• 2019 Mel Anderson Photography, Solo Show, Dangar Island Depot, NSW.
Photography of Dangar Island and the Lower Hawkesbury River. March 2019.
• 2018 Water Play, Solo Show, Dangar Island Depot, NSW.
• 2017 River Dreaming, Solo Show. The Gallery, TAFE NSW. Ceramics, Painting and Photography. 14-15 June, 2017.
• 2013 Ordinary/Extraordinary, Group Show. Mona Vale Music, Northern Beaches, NSW. Experimental Photography. 21 June - 14 July 2013.
• 2013 The Peat Island Project, Group Show. Hang Gallery Brooklyn, NSW. Photography and Digital Media. June 2013.
• 2012 The Peat Island Project, Group Show. Gosford Regional Art Gallery, NSW. Photography and Digital Media.
• 2012 The Road to Dangar book collaboration with Judith Doyle.
Photography, Graphic Design.
• 2012 Moran Photographic Portrait Prize, Semi-Finalist, "David and Rowena".
• 2012 Hornsby Shire Photographic Competition, People’s Choice Award "Mud Boy" and Prize Winner "The Bridge".
• 2011 Mel Anderson Photography, Solo Show, Dangar Island Depot, NSW. Photography of Dangar Island and the Lower Hawkesbury River.
• 2011 Head-On Photographic Portrait Prize, Shortlisted.
• 2010 A Year of Living Dangar-ously, Solo Show. Dangar Island Depot, NSW. Photography, Painting, Drawing, Digital Media, Ceramics, Installation, Sculpture. 2 July - 4 August 2010
• 2009 Pathways, Group Exhibition, GIG Gallery, Glebe, NSW.
Ceramics. June 2009.
• 2008 Christmas Show, Group Exhibition, Innercity Clayworkers Gallery, Ceramics. 27 November - 24 December.
• 2006 Hornsby Art Society Sculpture Show, Group Exhibition, Hornsby Art Gallery, NSW. Sculpture.
• 1995 - 1997, 2001, 2005, 2008 Ceramics Group Exhibitions, The Gallery, TAFE NSW. Ceramics.